Ga Ge Gi Go Gu!

Farruko was arrested for not declaring more than $10K to U.S. Customs.

That's the Question When Bringing Money into the U.S.

This week, the reggaeton music artist, Farruko, was arrested and charged for failing to declare the import of more than $10K into the U.S.  Had he simply stated on his customs card that he had $54K, Farruko fans would've been Chillax-ing at his next gig with Ky-Mani Marley as we write this.

Readers of Chaudhary Immigration Attorney's blog, however, have the benefit of legal advice that Farruko apparently did not.  So, in the singer's words, listen to "Lo question Yo Diga"(What I Have to Say):

1. It is NOT illegal to bring more than $10,000 into the U.S.
2. Bringing more than $10,000 into the U.S. is NOT subject to any extra duty (on its own).
3. Such money is not necessarily reported to the IRS without other relevant concerns.

Now, although this is a common myth, it is not without government blame.  Just reading I.C.E.'s ICE Press Release about Farruko's arrest would give anyone the impression that our friendly tatted-and-blinged reggaeton star was part of some international smuggling cartel.  Quite the contrary!  Even though he may have been charge with "smuggling," it was ONLY the failure to declare his money that triggered the arrest.  Of course, ICE adds its own flare with sinister verbiage about Farruko being "detained," and then "charged" by the U.S. attorney on such and such date.  Who wouldn't get the impression that the only illegal thing he did was omit the amount he was carrying.  He could've been bring the gate fees from his latest gig for all we know!  And we know ICE would've spared no sentence in its press release had anything else untoward was found.

We'll see what other facts become dramatized from the government regarding our lovely shaded-and-braided friend.  Until then, bring as much money as you want!  Just make sure to mention it to U.S. Customs!  And that ain't no Ga Ge Gi Go Gu!


Popular posts from this blog

How Much Is An H1B VISA?

Choosing An Immigration Lawyer

Can I Marry A US citizen While On Post Completion OPT?