Showing posts from August, 2022

Removal of Conditions

I recently answered the following question: Q: What are the requirements if I need to remove the condition on my two-year green card.  When do i need to apply exactly? A:  If you received your marriage green card within two years of marriage, your permanent residency is "conditional." This means you must prove your prove that your marital relationship still exists and is bona fide after two years. Obviously this is meant to prevent fraudulent marriages for immigration purposes. I  tell my clients this process it is basically like applying for your green card again in terms of what documents you need to provide. The form is I-751. The documents should come primarily from the two-year time period since green card approval. You are showing that you still have a bonafide marital relationship and that it was entered into in good faith. Provide joint bank statements, residential lease/mortgage/deed, joint tax filings, photographs, receipts from notable events, joint insurance, and

Citizenship 3-Year Rule

  I recently answered the following question: Q:   I am applying for a citizenship based on marriage. I was wondering when I am filling out the form do i base my answers on 3 years work, travel and residence history or do i still have to include 5 years worth of work, travel and residence history? Do I need to include an additional sheet explaining why i have submitted just 3 years worth of work, travel and residence history or should i just scratch the number 5 in the form wherever necessary and put the number 3 above that?   A:   Don't scratch anything out. I think your separate sheet idea is better. There is also space in some of the answers for explanations on the form itself, so use those whenever possible. Since you are only using three years it is important that you emphasize, In your supporting documentation that you are eligible for that timeline. This means demonstrating, almost like you did in your green card application, that you have continued to reside in a bona fide

Marrying U.S. Citizen While H1B Pending

I recently answered the following question:  Q: I married a US citizen while currently waiting for H1B renewal to be approved. What happens in this case?  H1B visa expired last October. I am currently waiting for my renewal to be approved. When I get married to my fiancee, can I file for adjustment of status while my H1B is still pending? A:  Your spouse can sponsor you for a green card and you can adjust your status in the U.S. regardless of your current or pending status (if you entered the U.S. legally).  The more frequent question is whether, when you receive an EAD while adjusting, should you begin work on the EAD or stay on H1B (or other status).  This is a sensitive question that totally depends on individual circumstances, and should  absolutely be discussed with your immigration attorney before acting.  One reason to NOT invoke the EAD is if  for some reason, your green card is denied you will still be in H1B status and no additional action would be required. However, sometime